What is the responsibility of a parent of a new Scouts BSA scout?

Scouts BSA patrol and troop meetings are youth-led, but we have many opportunities for parents and guardians to be involved as support for the scouts:

  • Troop Committee – The troop committee is responsible for conducting the business of the troop, setting policy, and helping the Scoutmaster and Scouts with the outdoor program and other planned activities. The committee also has the responsibility to provide adults for boards of review. Many positions exist on the troop committee, and require varying levels of commitment. Sone of these positions include:
    • Troop secretary – The unit secretary is appointed by the committee chair to keep minutes and records, send notices, and handle publicity.
    • Troop fundraising chair – The unit fundraising chair, also called the “Popcorn Kernel” in some councils, is appointed by the committee chair to supervise Fundraising and ensure that every youth member has the opportunity to participate in Popcorn sales or other council Fundraising events.
    • Troop equipment coordinator – The unit equipment coordinator is appointed by the committee chair to work with the youth Quartermaster and is responsible inventory, storage, and maintenance of unit equipment.
    • Parent coordinator – The parent coordinator assigns and coordinates the participation by parents with at least one specific task, assignment, or project annually for the troop. The parent coordinator can also register in the same troop in other registered adult position.
    • For a full listing, please go to Positions section here.
  • Specific Event Coordinators – Sometimes, parents cannot as involved as they would like due to work, family, and other commitments, but may be able to help for specific events, such as popcorn booth coordination or other fundraisers, Join Nights, Courts of Honor, summer camp, etc. Please let the Scoutmaster or any Assistant Scoutmaster know if you would like to help.
  • Assistant Scoutmaster – An assistant Scoutmaster is one of the adult leaders age 18 or over who assist the Scoutmaster in delivering the troop program.
  • Merit Badge Counselor – The merit badge counselor is a key player in the Boy Scout advancement program. Whatever your area of expertise or interest—whether it is a special craft or hobby (basketry, leatherwork, coin collecting), a profession (veterinary medicine, aviation, engineering), or perhaps a life skill (cooking, personal management, communications)—as a merit badge counselor, you can play a vital role in stirring a young man’s curiosity about that particular topic. By serving as a merit badge counselor, you offer your time, knowledge, and other resources so that Scouts can explore a topic of interest. If you are not yet a merit badge counselor, it is easy to become a volunteer. You must fill out an Adult Application (obtained from the troop) and complete BSA Youth Protection Training, which can be completed online.
  • Campouts – The troop will often need drivers for campouts. Multiple parents/guardians at camping events also helps ensure we have two-deep leadership at all times, especially if the troop wants to split up to do different activities, such as cooking, fishing, hiking, at the same time. Any parent, male or female, is welcome to come along with their daughter on any campout. The parent must register as an adult leader, take BSA Youth Protection Training and then abide by all the YPT rules.